As part of the 2011 ILCAD campaign, an international children’s drawing contest on safety at level crossings was recently organised on the occasion of the International Level Crossing Awareness Day 2011 (ILCAD) which will take place on 9 June.
The competition was open to all children (including those of UIC HQ colleagues and the staff of UIC members) in the following age groups: 4-7, 8-11, 12-15 and 16-18.
Despite very short deadlines we have received 380 drawings by post and email from different countries (Algeria, Croatia, France; Greece, India, Italy, Poland, Portugal and Russia): 200 by children between 8 and 11 years, 160 by children between 4 and 7 years and a smaller number by the 12 to 18 year age group. We wish to thank all the participants, teachers, parents and railway colleagues for their excellent response and their contribution to the success of this contest. We also wish to thank the jury composed of railway staff and non railway persons who did their best to choose from these fascinating and high quality drawings. This was not an easy task. This contest gave us the opportunity to return to our childhood.
All the drawings can be consulted on PICASA. Please click on the links indicated in the four age categories below:
- 4-7 years: http://www.ilcad.org/spip.php?article99
- 8-11 years: http://www.ilcad.org/spip.php?article100
- 12-15 years: http://www.ilcad.org/spip.php?article101
- 16-18 years: http://www.ilcad.org/spip.php?article102
To see the winning drawings please click on http://bit.ly/ILCAD-DRAWINGS-CONTEST
Category: 4 to 7 years (1st to 10th prize):
- SARA NOVOSEL 7 YEARS CROATIA
- MAJA CHWALINSKA 4 YEARS POLAND
- MANAL RAHMOUNI 7 YEARS ALGERIA
- TIAGO 6 YEARS PORTUGAL
- ALUNNA ALENA FORGELLI 5 YEARS ITALY
- PAULINA STRONSKA 6 YEARS POLAND
- DARIO DELLINO 6-7 YEARS CARRANTE ITALY
- KASANDRA TSAPARA 4 YEARS GREECE
- MELANIE TACCARELLI 6-7 YEARS CARRANTE ITALY
- GIOVANNO MALDARI SCUDO 6-7 YEARS CARRANTE ITALY
Category: 8 to 11 years (1st to 10th prize):
- SHIBAIVOTI CHOUDHURY 8 YEARS INDIA
- SABRINE GHALOUS 11 YEARS ALGERIA
- RAJASHREE CHOUDHURY 9 YEARS INDIA
- PAULINA SWOROWSKA 11 YEARS POLAND
- DANIEL NOVAIS 8 YEARS COIMBRA PORTUGAL
- PATRICIA CRISTAL- 8 YEARS PORTUGAL
- BILINSKA GABRIELA 10 YEARS POLAND
- JOAO NUNO 8 YEARS COIMBRA PORTUGAL
- EDUARDO MORGADO 8 YEARS COIMBRA PORTUGAL
- DANIEL LUIGI CASTANIA 9 YEARS CATANIA ITALY
There are only three prizes for the following categories because we received a very small number of drawings.
Category: 12 to 15 years (1st to 3rd prize):
- ISHAK ANIS GHALOUS 12 YEARS ALGERIA
- KAWTHAR RAHMOUNI 12 YEARS ALGERIA
- OLIWIA PRZYBYLSKA 13 YEARS POLAND
Category: 16 to 18 years (1st to 3rd prize):
- PATRYCJA JABLONSKA 16 YEARS POLAND
- MEBARKI YASMINE 17 YEARS ALGERIA
- JORGE LOPES 17 YEARS PORTUGAL
The winning drawings have been uploaded to the ILCAD website. Please click on http://www.ilcad.org/spip.php?article97 and the dedicated ILCAD facebook page facebook.com/ilcadin advance of the international campaign on 9 June. The majority of the drawings from Poland, Portugal and Italy will be exhibited by our ILCAD partners in their respective countries on the day of the ILCAD event or later.
For organisational reasons all the winners will receive their prize as soon as possible after the International Level Crossing Awareness Day campaign takes place on 9 June 2011 worldwide.
Watch TV, listen to the radio, open your eyes: there will be TV shows, radio spots, the EU/ILCAD video “Just in time” will be displayed on the partners’ websites and in public areas (stations in Slovakia, in Argentina….), safety flyers will be distributed at level crossings and in schools, special events will be organised for children and adults in more than 40 countries. An international press conference will be organised on 7 June in the evening as well as side events on 8 June in the afternoon followed by the ILCAD day on 9 June in Warsaw, Poland.
One of the topics on which our partners in the ILCAD campaign work to reduce the number of accidents at level crossings is Education. It starts with children and the drawing contest has shown that children are reasonably aware of what kind behaviour is safe and what is not safe.
All together YES WE CAN!
NB I thank all the persons on the poster, 99% of whom are UIC HQ staff members who have accepted to pose for posters because ILCAD is first and foremost a human adventure! Should you wish to use the posters for your own campaign, please visit our website. You may use the ILCAD logo which exists in more than 20 languages. For any technical problems or more information please contact: Fonverne@uic.org