The 7th World Congress on Railway Security, held in Rome, Italy on 22 and 23 September, proved a great success due to the quality of speeches and the number of questions asked by participants during each of the sessions.
The event confirmed UIC’s international role, as much by the number and the geographic diversity of the participants – over 200 from 22 countries – as by the topics discussed.
The topics addressed during the various congress sessions were fully in line with participants’ expectations:
- Political and topical aspects
- Technology and research projects
- Metal theft
- Security in railway stations
Participants also showed a strong desire to develop UIC Security activities in the same spirit of constructive debate and cooperation. It was decided to accord priority to the areas of railway Security/Safety and Security in high speed systems, as well as to the pursuit of institutional and expert partnerships.
The dates for future events concerning Security, Safety and High Speed were recalled:
- 8th World High Speed Congress, UIC HIGHSPEED 2012 in Philadelphia, United States, from 11 to 13 July 2012
- 8th World Congress of the Security Platform in Slovakia, in October 2012