The PETER expert group was set up in January 2000. It consists of about 46 members representing about 24 Railway Companies.
The project is related to the GSM-R evolution towards more flexible systems and its integration with the fixed telecommunications railway networks as well as supporting the implementing railways.
A common telecommunication platform for GSM-R GSM-R Global System for Mobile Communications-Railways and fixed network will be developed. That will realise the integration between the fixed and mobile networks, it will integrate voice and data and it will be managed in an efficient way.
The network shall be easy to use, cost effective and of high quality.
Three major activities have been identified in the following areas:
- Fixed and mobile networks integration - pilot implementation, between Germany and Sweden, of the EIRENE/ERNST ERNST uropean Railways Numbering Scheme for Telecommunications unique numbering scheme as agreed in the related MoU MoU Memorandum of Understanding signed by 20 railway infrastructure managers.
- Network management via the ERNST database and its new features related to fault reports, routing tables, GSM-R tables, Least Cost Routing solution and inventory of the telco circuits at borders.
- Integration of voice and data via the “voice over IP” solution (using the new MLPS technology) will be further step pending agreement from the GSM-R side.
It is a consultative body, a network of telecom specialists, ready to work in order to solve real telecom problems related to railways.
It was decided to set up the PETER Action Group, made of 7 experts - in February 2003 - in order to produce structured proposals, to be addressed to the Infrastructure Forum, on the most important items raised at the PETER meetings:
- educate the UIC experts to the ERNST data base usage (dissemination actions, database user’s guide);
- testing/trial activities;
- encourage new railways to join the UIC telecom network;
- new projects.
Senior Advisor - ERTMS ERTMS European Rail Transport Management System /GSM-R radio & Railway Telecom