The 32nd ASEAN Railway CEO Conference was held in Bali, Indonesia from 14 – 17 July 2010. The meeting, organised by Indonesian Railways, was attended by over 150 delegates including railway CEOs and delegates from Lao PDR, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia, observers from UNESCAP, UIC and JR East, and rail supply industry representatives from GE Transportation, Bombardier, Siemens, Plasser Far East, Schaeffler, SMH Rail, Standard Car Truck, MTU and local industry.
UIC was represented by Mr Mukul Saran Mathur, Head of UIC Asia Regional Office in New Delhi. UIC explained to the delegates its role at global level along with its important activities and projects.
The delegates presented the latest railway developments in ASEAN.
Presentations were made by delegates on the following topics:
- potential rail freight market in Indonesia,
- commercial use of railway corridors in Malaysia,
- development of Vietnam’s high speed project,
- operation and maintenance of Bangkok Airport Rail Link,
- expansion of ICDs in Thailand,
- development of cargo business by KTMB (Malayan Railways)
- and other relevant issues pertaining to the maintenance of track, locomotives, signalling and marketing of services and organisation restructuring.