The European Rail Research Advisory Council (ERRAC)* is a partner together with the European Commission, the Conference of European Directors of Roads (CEDR), the European Road Transport Advisory Council (ERTRAC) and the European Technology Platform “WATERBORNE” of TRA 2012, the 4th Transport Research Arena (TRA) Conference, to be held in Athens, Greece, from 23 – 26 April 2012.
TRA 2012 aims to bring together European stakeholders from all areas of transport and transport-related activities. The scope has been extended for this 4th edition to all modes of surface transport: road, rail and waterborne. A renewed TRA, covering all transport modes including urban transport planning and mobility as well as co-modality, is precisely what the European Commission was calling for. This will happen in Athens in 2012.
The main theme of TRA 2012 is Sustainable Mobility through Innovation. TRA 2012 seeks to reflect the multidisciplinary nature of the transport sector and, for this reason, addresses all stakeholders in both the public and private sectors and all professionals, regardless of their roles (researchers, practitioners, designers, constructors, operators, administrators etc.).
The Special Sessions programme consists of 34 sessions covering 12 cross-cutting topics of relevance to all modes, as well as topics of relevance to each specific transport mode.
Rail-related topics include:
- Re-use of abandoned railway lines as a sustainable transportation option and regional development engine: planning, policies and technical proposals
- Cost-effective improvement of rail transport infrastructure
- Innovation and research for a more competitive European rail sector, challenges and solutions for Horizon 2020
- New perspectives in transport research in Turkey – the rail sector
- ERRAC Roadmaps: the greening of surface transport, encouraging modal shift (long distance) and decongesting transport corridors, ensuring sustainable urban transport (including modal shift, light rail vehicles and metros), improving safety and security, strengthening competitiveness, past projects evaluation and evaluation database
Sessions and meetings are organised by national, European and international bodies, federations, associations, EU projects and initiatives, professional institutes and unions.
The Young European Arena of Research 2012 a competition for early-stage researchers who are doing research in the area of all surface transport modes: road, rail and waterborne previously held in Slovenia and Belgium will be held this year within TRA 2012
The competition will give PhD students all over Europe an opportunity to showcase their work to experts within the field, both on the web, and for the best applicants, at the conference in Athens.
An international trade exhibition will be in place during the TRA 2012 Conference at the newly opened Megaron Athens International Conference Centre (Megaron AICC).
In order to enhance networking and give exhibitors the chance to invite visitors to their own stand, coffee breaks and lunches will be offered within the exhibition area at special stands. There are still some booths left.
*The European Rail Research Advisory Council is acting as an advisor on future rail research needs to the European Commission for the 7th Framework Programme (2007-2013) and beyond. The members of ERRAC are railway and public transport companies, infrastructure managers, supply industry, member states, academic institutions & rail research institutes.