A number of events scheduled to take place in 2013 require clarifications in the field of GSM-R. UIC, the worldwide reference in this field, is often called upon to fulfil this task on topics such as:
- Interferences to GSM-R,
- IP introduction to GSM-R and signalling systems,
- Packet switching mode for ETCS (GPRS),
- GSM-R evolution to next generation systems
It is obvious that such discussions on important and sometime critical topics need to be converged.
On these assumptions, UIC will organise a GSM-R & Telecom Conference at UIC HQ on 10 and 11 September 2013, partnered by the GSM-R Industry Group.
This event organisation kick-off meeting took place on 8 February 2013, where the organisational committee took a number of decisions:
Conference title: “GSM-R Assets & Evolution Management”
Purpose of the conference:
- Inform the audience about GSM-R’s present status, evolution, and strategy for the future; support the railways to look at broader opportunities
- Promote the debate at the event and beyond
- Demonstrate GSM-R technology & applications
The event should be attended by:
- Railways & rail transport experts (telecom, signalling, operations) and strategy decision-makers
- Authorities & standardisation bodies (e.g. EC, ECC, ETSI, 3GPP, CER, EIM)
- International audience
Main subjects of the conference:
- Status of GSM-R (implementation, ETCS, applications, lessons learnt, etc.)
- Common procurement & support methods
- GSM-R support for existing and new applications
- Status and technical solutions on interferences
- System management & performance monitoring
- European international routing management
- Packet switching for ETCS
- Migration to IP challenges, including GSM-R migration
- Future railway mobile communication systems:
- Co-existence & interoperability
- What can broadband bring to operations?
- Services to passengers
- Security & intrusion
The next meeting, with more details on this important event, is scheduled for 5 March 2013.