Plans are now well progressed for the 13th UIC Sustainability Conference, jointly organised by the International Union of Railways (UIC) and Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB. The conference will take place in the glorious Imperial city of Vienna at the famous Hofburg International Congress and Event Centre on 12, 13 & 14 October 2016.
This programme will examine both the contribution that rail can make towards delivering the 2030 sustainable development agenda and also how sustainability can give rail a competitive advantage. The latest programme is enclosed, please consult http://uic-environment.org/ for updates.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Andreas Matthä OBB CEO
- Franz Seiser, OBB INFRA CEO
- Jean-Pierre Loubinoux, UIC CEO
- Canadian Railways, Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, Via Rail Canada
- Michail Stahlhut, CEO SBB Cargo International AG
- Kamel Ben Naceur, Director of Sustainable Energy Policy and Technology, International Energy Agency
- Rajesh Sethi UNFCCC
- Gireesh Shrimali, Climate Policy Initiative
- Johann Pluy, OBB Infra
The conference will include a number of dedicated workshops dressing key sustainability issues, including:
- Carbon footprint in railways: integrated scope and innovative tools
- Weather resilience and climate change adaptation
- Emissions and air quality: which framework?
- Digital communication and energy efficiency in railways: driving, metering, and billing
- Energy efficiency projects: potential improvements for mid and long term
- GRI G4 reporting: challenges for rail sector
- Railway noise in the common noise assessment method CNOSSOS
- Sustainable procurement in the rail sector: taking larger strides and leapfrogging along the sustainability path
- Door to door business solutions
- Sustainable and smart stations and infrastructures
- Sustainable tourism (Toprail)
- Biodiversity: preventing decline & benefits of effective stakeholders management
- Environmental management for maintenance activities
- Recyclability of rolling stocks
For more details please refer to the website http://uic-environment.org/workshops
14th of October: technical and cultural visits
The technical visit will take place in the new Rail Freight Centre South Vienna.
Participants are also welcome to join a visit of the cultural highlights of Vienna.
Only registered participants can attend and should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm their presence on the 14th.
The first day of the UIC Sustainability Conference will allow UIC members to highlight recent achievements in the field railway sustainability. This session will take the form of a world tour of railways, with each given 3 minutes and one slide to describe the impact on environmental, social and economic sustainability. This is a unique opportunity to illustrate the engagement of your company in Sustainability issues and share best practice with a global audience. Apply on line http://uic-environment.org/uic-sustainability-champion-award