The UIC Expertise Development Unit is also a stakeholder of European Projects, drawing on its pool of expertise and concrete knowledge regarding training and workforce development in the railway sector. At the interface between Expertise Development platform, partner universities and rail training centre networks, the Unit hopes to facilitate and increase exchange of information and speed up the development of these networks.
Presentation of the project:
The transport sector employs over 10 million people in the EU today. At the same time, transport is a social sector that is rapidly developing, changing and being influenced to the maximum extent by the development of automation, electrification and greening of transport, among others, thus facing problems in staffing its several domains with appropriate and qualified personnel. This fact makes the need for changes in training and education content, curricula, tools and methodologies absolutely imperative, incorporating lifelong learning aspects for the professionals in all transport areas.
The SKILLFUL project’s aims are threefold:
- To critically review the existing, emerging and future knowledge and skills requirements of workers at all levels in the transportation sector, with emphasis on competences required by important game changers and paradigm shifters (such as electrification and greening of transport, automation, MaaS, etc.)
- To structure the key specifications and components of the curricula and training courses that will be needed to meet these competence requirements optimally, with emphasis on multidisciplinary education and training programme
- To identify and propose new business roles in the education and training chain, in particular those of “knowledge aggregator”, “training certifier” and “training promoter”, in order to achieve European wide competence development and take-up in a sustainable way
The role of UIC Expertise Development Unit will be mainly to:
- Promote the project among UIC members and its various stakeholders
- Share its experience and knowledge in training activities for the railway industry
- Provide recommendations on training modalities (topics, training methodologies teaching methods)