Under the chair of Christian Fortier (SNCF) and then Susanne Kufeld (Deutsche Bahn AG), the Working Group (WG) Metal Theft started its work 2011. Since then, this group has developed a number of achievements. Here we have listed the most important:
- Establishment of a strong network between European railways
- Exchange on procedural and technical experiences and lessons learnt
- Understanding of metal theft as a European problem with many different industries and sectors affected
- Establishment of a cross-sectoral experts network, e.g. Pol-PRIMETT II/UK, PSAT/Portugal
- Inform the European Commission on technical aspects
- Issued a UIC leaflet on Metal Theft (November 2013) that illustrates the problem in the railway sector
- Cooperation with CER to organise a cross-sectoral European Coalition Against Metal Theft (May 2015)
Previously produced documents are available at the following link:
During the last WG Meeting, held on 6 June 2017, the participants presented the development of incidents regarding metal theft as well as their achieved measures. Even if the results revealed that the number of metal thefts has decreased over the last five years, the WG decided unanimously to continue the work and to expand its scope. The topics sabotage, intrusions and attacks regarding the railway infrastructure should be addressed according to contacts we have had with some members.
Therefore, we warmly invite you to the Kick-Off meeting of the WG Sabotage, Intrusions, Attacks (current working title). The goal of this meeting is to define the priorities within this scope of the WG as well as to discuss the main topics for 2018. The WG Meeting will take place on 15 November 2017 from 1 – 5 pm in Vienna.