On 6 June, the International Union of Railways (UIC) together with various stakeholders from the rail and the road sectors, road safety authorities, academics and international institutions will join efforts around the 11th edition of the International Level Crossing Awareness Day. After Brussels, Warsaw, Paris, Geneva, Lisbon, Istanbul, Riga, Montréal and Zagreb, Amersfoort will host the international conference on safety at the road/rail interface during an event organised jointly by UIC and ProRail, the Dutch railway infrastructure manager.
Every year, partners of ILCAD choose a core theme to prepare their awareness campaign. This year it was decided to target “professional drivers of trucks, buses, coaches, farming, industry or emergency vehicles …)”.
Our 2019 prevention message: “The most important stop of the day!” is for all professional drivers who are in a hurry to drive from Point A to B to prevent them from taking tremendous risks. Better lose a few minutes than lose one’s life!
On this occasion and with the kind contribution of PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A. (PKP PLK) UIC produced a series of three videos based on CCTV footage of near misses, or collisions of various long or heavy vehicles in Poland. The objective is raise awareness among professional drivers (of buses, coaches, trucks, industry, farming or emergency vehicles) of the risks that they may encounter at level crossings and the severe consequences that errors or misbehaviour may cause.
- A short version (UIC, ILCAD and ProRail logos) with various vehicles at an accelerated speed
- A short version showing a bus that stopped on tracks at a level crossing and is hit by a passenger train (UIC/ILCAD logo)
- A long version (UIC/ILCAD logo) with various vehicles
With the kind contribution of CDV, the Czech Ministry of Transport and the Czech road safety authorities, UIC published a series of three videos to raise awareness among truck drivers of the risks that they may encounter at level crossings and the severe consequences that errors or misbehaviour may cause.
1. The first video is about a truck driver being trapped between barriers. The safety message is: Always respect road signs and signals before crossing. Always wait for the red lights to stop flashing and barriers get up to cross.
2. The second video: Barriers may be broken by a road vehicle when trapped between barriers.
3. The third video: A truck driver must always wait for enough space on the crossing to enter the crossing, and always wait for enough space in front of him before crossing!
You may find all videos on the ILCAD playlist on youtube http://bit.ly/2WCBo2m
We also produced 11 posters in four languages with level crossings from various countries.
It is still time to register for the event in Amersfoort, click here: