Mr Thierry Béra, UIC CFO and Africa Region Coordinator was in Rabat from 20 – 21 June within the framework of the 7th edition of the Rail Safety Training.
During this visit, a meeting was organised by ONCF, who holds the chair of the UIC African region. The chair was represented by Mr Said Chandid. The aim of the meeting was to discuss the work programme of the region for 2019-2020.
The discussion of the year-in progress included the programme for the second quarter of 2019 such as:
- The organisation of ILCAD “International Level Crossing Awareness Day” Africa Day in October 2019 in Northern Africa
- The two-week Track Maintenance Training in November 2019
- The preparation started for the African Region Assembly in December 2019
- Among the many projects, the UIC African region launched two studies in 2019:
- Post-evaluation of the bi-annual training sessions
- Revitalisation 2063
Another priority include collaboration with the African Union Commission and revitalization of AUR - African Union of Railways.
For 2020 the meeting discussed the organisation of the 2nd African Rail Digital Summit during the first quarter of 2020 in Tunisia.
The main areas for the development of the region include:
During the meeting the UIC delegation visited the new ONCF Social Hub and the traffic operations centre.