The deployment of the European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS) continues to be high on the agendas of almost all European and international organisations and associations in the railway business.
As you will know, the current challenge is to migrate from around 20 different legacy control-command systems in Europe to a single solution – ERTMS!
Key factors in facilitating the above-mentioned migration and implementation are the life cycle costs of this new automatic European control system. The railway sector has supported developments in the field of ERTMS from the outset, and has remained involved in the implementation of the system.
On this occasion, UIC will present some intermediate results of the study “UIC ERTMS Benchmark on Costs” that has been prepared by a dedicated UIC working group of 21 members from 14 European countries starting in 2008. In total, 20 LCC cases in 3 different benchmark pools (ERTMS/ETCS Level 1 infrastructure, ERTMS/ETCS Level 2 infrastructure and ERTMS/ETCS On-board) have been examined. The experiences of various European railways will serve as a basis for a fruitful discussion.
This workshop will be an opportunity for major players (EC, ERA, CER, EIM, NoBos, UIC and UNIFE) to meet and discuss economic models, cost databases and data gathering, and share their direct experience and activity outcomes on the subject around the same table.
- 10:45 Welcome
- 11:00 Opening remarks by UIC – Emilio Maestrini, Director of Rail System Department
- 11:15 European Railway Agency – Marcel Verslype, Director General (guest speaker)
- 11:45 European Commission – Karel Vinck, ERTMS Coordinator
- 12:15 Presentation of UIC Study “ERTMS Benchmark on Costs” – Rail System Department
- 14:00 UNIFE
- 14:30 Representative of Notified Bodies – Jean Marc Dupas, Chairman of NB Rail
- 15:00 Debate
- 16:00 –16.30 Conclusions
Online registration at http://www.uic.org/spip.php?article2579