The UIC Safety Platform Steering Group meeting took place on 12 February in Paris under the leadership of the Chairman Peter Kleinschuster (ÖBB).
About 30 participants attended the meeting.
During the first part of the meeting the participants were informed about significant developments in the field of railway safety, accidents and incidents.
Paul Véron reported on the international feedback following the UIC press release on safety, published at the beginning of January. The UIC media kit on safety will be further developed in cooperation with the safety unit and the communications department.
The Chairman of the System Safety Management Group”(SSMG)/CER Safety Support Group, Jean-Francois Meunier informed participants about the main current topics of this group, which in particular addresses ERA-related safety issues.
He focused on the following items:
- Risk Acceptance Criteria for Technical systems (RAC-TS)
- Joint Network Secretariat (ERA + NSAs + Sector) –
Tasks and roles of actors on safety in the railway system
- Single Safety Certificate; the Task Force work programme is adopted by RISC
- ERA Quick Response Procedure (QRP) after serious accidents or incidents
Jean-Baptiste Simonnet (CER) added information and announced an ERA workshop on railway system aspects, including safety, which is fixed for 7 – 8 May 2014.
Marie-Hélène Bonneau reported on activities of the UIC Security Unit, including the participation of UIC within European research projects. Interfaces between safety and security were discussed, the cooperation will be developed.
Isabelle Fonverne informed the audience about activities on Level Crossing Safety:
- UNECE Group of Experts on improving safety at level crossings, kick-off meeting in Geneva on 20 January 2014, opened by Eva Molnar, Director of UNECE Transport Division and with the participation of UIC Director General Jean-Pierre Loubinoux and the Chairman of the UIC Safety Platform, Peter Kleinschuster
- 6th edition of the “International Level Crossing Awareness Day” (ILCAD) on 3 June 2014, coordinated by UIC: www.ilcad.org
- A press conference and round table with experts from road and rail will be hosted by REFER and CP in Lisbon
- “Global Level Crossing Safety and Trespass Prevention Symposium” from 3 – 8 August 2014 in Chicago/USA Conference website:
Meryem Belhaj reported on the UIC global workshop “Human Factors in Investigation of Accidents/Incidents” which took place from 10 – 11 February at UIC HQ.
All presentations are available for UIC members on the extranet.
Participants were informed about the “International Railway Safety Council” (IRSC) to be held from 12 – 17 October 2014 in Berlin.
The main conference theme this year: “Enhancing Railway Safety through Innovation, Community Partnership and effective Safety Management”.
The website for registration and to submit abstracts is open: www.irsc2014.org
The next UIC Safety Platform Steering Group meeting is scheduled to be held from 24 – 25 June 2014 at DB AG HQ in Frankfurt. It will focus on the strategic direction of railway safety activities over the coming years.