As part of the work led by the UIC Digital Platform launched at the end of November 2015, UIC has planned a series of dedicated workshops aimed at exploring the links between digitalisation and various dimensions of the railway system.
In this context, UIC is organising a workshop to be held on 7 October 2016 at UIC Headquarters, focusing on the links between digitalisation on the one hand and freight & passenger services on the other.
This workshop is open to UIC Members and Stakeholders.
Particular attention will be paid in the discussions to the need for proper change management in the digitalisation process in order to address the fears of many staff faced with a rapidly changing work environment. Furthermore, the workshop will attempt to build bridges between the different generations and between railway experts and digitally skilled young people who could, if they find a way of cooperating, together reinvent the railways.
The programme of the event is available below; based on a business-oriented approach, the discussions will aim to show the participants in a practical way how digitalisation can bring added value to freight and passenger services, what kind of economic benefits members can expect from it, what its limits are, etc.
PROGRAMME 7 October 2016 – WORKSHOP (9:00-17:00)
Plenary 09:00 / 10:30
Jean-Pierre LOUBINOUX, Director General of the International Union of Railways (UIC), Introduction / welcome speech (confirmed)
Short presentation by each moderator:
- Björn WESTERBERG, CEO of the Association of Swedish Train Operating Companies (ASTOC) “Organising digital mobility or digital acceleration” (confirmed)
- Evgeny CHARKIN, Chief Digital Officer of Russian Railways (RZD): “Digital Railroad vision & implementation” (confirmed)
- Gérard MEMMI, Director of Digital, Computer and Networks at Telecom ParisTech, Mines ParisTech Institute (confirmed)
Coffee break (10:30 / 11:00)
Freight (11:00 / 12:30 – 14:00 / 15:30)
Moderator: Evgeny CHARKIN Chief Digital Officer of Russian Railways (RZD)
- Dr. Markus KSOLL, Deutsche Bahn, Head of Competition and Regulatory Policy (CWW): “Digitalisation at DB - What is in it for rail freight?”
- Benoit THIRION, Fret SNCF: “A digital approach: RUSWEB and DIGITAB” (confirmed)
- Luca MARIORIENZI RAILDATA: “ISR tracking & tracing of Freight wagons in Europe” (confirmed)
- Patrick MANTELL, UIC & Ralf GUTBROD, RAILDATA: “Paperless Consignment Note” (confirmed)
- Jose Tomas FERNANDES, Goal Systems: “Digital to support optimization for Freight Railways” (confirmed)
- François DAVENNE, Intergovernmental Organisation for International Carriage by Rail (OTIF): “International freight: networks in search of an operating system” (confirmed)
- Gion-otto PRESSER-VELDE, InstaFreight, German start-up ; Presentation of their digital project for freight truck traffic (confirmed)
Passengers (11:00 / 12:30 – 14:00 / 15:30)
Moderator: Björn WESTERBERG CEO of the Association of Swedish Train Operating Companies (ASTOC)
- Rodrigo HILARIO RENFE OPERADORA, Chairman of the Commercial Group UIC-CDF (UIC Passenger Forum): “Digital Observatory & new products platform UIC-Project” (confirmed)
- David SARFATTI, UIC Ticketing Group Chairman: “The new UIC paperless standards and solutions: Barcodes, Rail Ticket on Screen, Control App and Public Key website” (confirmed)
- Cédric TESSIER, EFFIDENCE(French start up): “Automatic luggage transport and distribution in railway stations” (confirmed)
- Eric CHENG, THSRC (Taïwan): “Big Data Analysis Application Experience to Traction Power Demand” (confirmed)
- Connected station: (representative to be specified)
- John LUTZ, UIC & Fred van BLOMMESTEIN – Hitrail (Hermes) “ST4RT (Semantic Transformations 4 Rail Transportation)” (confirmed)
Lunch (12:30 – 14:00)
Coffee break (15:30/15:45)
- Short restitution of the two workshops
- Thorsten BOMKE, ALSTOM: “A digital journey with Alstom” (confirmed)
- Marc FOURNIER, “La Paillasse” (incubator) “Networks and biology – An innovative digital approach” (confirmed)
- Javier MARTIN SANZ, IBERIA Captain “Paperless cockpit” (confirmed)
- Conclusions by Jean-Pierre LOUBINOUX, Director General of the International Union of Railways (UIC) (confirmed)
16:45: Showroom & cocktail