At the kind invitation of DB Stations&Service AG, the SMGG met in Berlin on 29 June 2017. SMGG is the UIC group dedicated to railway stations. It comprises station managers from UIC members and is managed by Carlos Ventura, Director of Passenger Stations at ADIF (Spain).
The UIC members represented at the SMGG meeting were: ADIF, DB, JR East, RZD, SNCB, SNCF, ONCF, SBB, and Korail.
UIC Headquarters was represented by Mr Iñaki Barrón, Director of the High Speed and Passenger Department, Mr Jacques Colliard, Head of Security Unit, Ms Kathrin Faber, Senior Advisor in the Security Division, and Mr Marc Guigon, Senior Advisor for Passenger Transport.
Organisation of SMGG
SMGG members agreed to split SMGG meetings into two parts:
- Exchange of best practices between members (digitalisation, customer satisfaction, innovation, etc.)
- Coordination of current studies (sustainable stations, in-station information, security of stations, future of stations, etc.)
Presentation of SBB’s stations organisation
Railway accessibility specialist Giulia Dell’Asin presented SBB Group and its stations organisation.
Ownership of stations belongs to SBB Real Estate, and the management is done by SBB Infrastructure.
She presented the main projects underway at Zürich Main Station and Lausanne Main Station.
Etienne Riot from AREP presented the status of Leaflet 181 (In-station information), which will be divided into three parts:
- Wayfinding for passengers
- Branding manual (including pictograms)
- Digital information
Security of stations
Ms Kathrin Faber presented the status of the current study, which includes two main tasks:
- Collect and describe security measures
- Evaluate the impacts of these measures on station management
A first draft of the handbook concerning station security will be available end of July 2017.
SMGG’s next meetings will be held on 18 October 2017 (Madrid) and 14 December 2017 (location to be determined).